Sunday, February 5, 2012

Architecture and Human Habitats

Pin It
Second graders just wrapped up an architecture project in which they had to create buildings or human habitats with interesting architectural details and shapes. My goal was to guide them beyond the typical house made from a square with a triangle on top for a roof. They got it, and the results are great!


(The little characters in this painting are "half-caterpillar-half- man singing opera"...naturally!)

Students first studied different images of buildings. We also read the "House Book"--the author of the book is escaping me--but it's a children's book with great illustrations of all the parts of a house. We also talked a bit about different kinds of buildings and how they are different. Students were able to choose whether they wanted to create houses in a neighborhood, skyscrapers, cabins, etc. This really helped ensure that everyone's project turned out differently.



The process started with drawing just the buildings or houses first. Color was added with watercolor paint, crayon, or marker--I gave a variety of choices for this part. Then, the buildings were set aside and students created their backgrounds. They had to consider the sky and the ground. Lastly, the buildings were cut out, arranged in the best spot, and then glued in place.

One significant part of this project for me was that I started to notice the day to day logistics of teaching art are becoming easier and easier. As a result, I'm more tuned into the choices I make as a teacher and the choices I make as an artist. Although, in all honesty, I have done very little of my own artwork of late, I have found myself becoming inspired by the lessons I'm teaching. In my own work, I've been at a stand still as I decide what route to take next. I'd like to try a new subject matter but can't quite narrow it down. I've decided to start turning my attention to what I'm teaching...that is where I'm directing my creativity these days after all. This architecture idea stood out to me, so now I'm looking more closely at the interesting houses in my neighborhood and thinking about how I can tie this concept into some new paintings of my own. We'll see what happens. Perhaps the glaring emptiness of that brand new canvas on my easel won't be so empty much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment